The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weekend engine pull
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:41 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Unfortunately my engine let it's magic smoke out this past weekend at AMP. Although I am working in Halifax, and the car is here with me, my shop is back in Newfoundland with most of my tools etc. I had planned on shipping the car home for the winter for other maintenance, but with the car not driving under its own power, this gets significantly more expensive.

After having the engine let go, I was enormously lucky to have Ben and Nickoli truck it back from Shubie to HFX. My plan is to store the car for the winter in Halifax area, and do the motor reinstall in the spring.

I'm hoping to pull the engine out before the chassis goes into storage so I can see what failed, and if anything is salvageable.

I'm looking for a spot to pull the motor. I have access to an engine crane I could bring, as well all my own tools.

If anyone is willing to let me do the pull on a weekend, I would happily pick up some beers and clean up after I've left. The plan is to load the engine into a pickup, and bring to a local friend's place to do the tear down. All damage was internal to the engine, so it's not a hot oily mess at the moment lol.

I have pulled FRS motors multiple times in the past, and it's a quick job. Sub 6 hours I would estimate.

If anyone has a free bay for a few hours, or knows of somewhere I could do this at a pay per hour DIY shop, I'd be very grateful.

Alternatively, if anyone knows a way of getting the entire car to NL as a non runner (20 ft container maybe?) I'd be all ears.

Mike

Post subject: Re: Weekend engine pull
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:10 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

You can use my garage if you wish, should have mentioned that earlier to you. Can take it to storage from there if you want.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:36 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

pm sent.

"On snow or ice or gravel, we all know that a car will not stop or steer. And yet rally cars do both of these things. That means the whole thing is sorcery, and the people who do the driving must be witches." - Jermy Clarkson.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:00 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Brian and Wayne. You guys are awesome.

I'm doing some final checks on if there's ANY way I can get the car back to NL as I can work at my pace there on the rebuild, but things aren't looking good on that front. Very difficult to ship a car that doesn't run.

Regardless of the option I end up settling on, your offers to help are hugely appreciated. It's a tough situation having such a large mechanical failure far from home, but everyone's help here in NS is definitely making it more easy to deal with.

Thanks again guys.

I'll hopefully have a plan formulated soon.

Also thanks again to Ben and Nick. You guys are all stand up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:01 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

An anecdote, but I shipped a non-running car from NS to NL in 2008 so I could repair it (engine went on the day I was moving up there). It cost about $1000 iirc and they damaged it on the way up there, then dumped it on the side of the road at night for me to pick up in the morning so I couldn't look it over :orglaugh:
Pricks
I wouldn't trust some unknown person to move a car like that again

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:45 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Mike Pettipas wrote:
An anecdote, but I shipped a non-running car from NS to NL in 2008 so I could repair it (engine went on the day I was moving up there). It cost about $1000 iirc and they damaged it on the way up there, then dumped it on the side of the road at night for me to pick up in the morning so I couldn't look it over :orglaugh:
Pricks
I wouldn't trust some unknown person to move a car like that again

This is precisely my worry with moving companies. I hear a lot of similar stories. Transporters going missing with the car for extended periods, quoting one price, and demanding more on drop off to release the car, damages, etc.

I really don't want to send it back if I can't find someone I know personally that I trust to take care of it for me. I've built the car from the ground up and have a lot of hours in it.

The downside is that it will be difficult to achieve the same level of fabrication quality when I'm not in my own shop for winter upgrades. That's probably minor compared to a damaged or lost/stolen vehicle though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:30 am 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Just a quick update! The motor is out :)

Thanks a bunch to Ben Easson for the wrenching help, truck and transport, to Nickoli Roussakov for the trailer, and to Brian Partridge for providing a spot for the teardown. Also Cathy Partridge for storage for the winter.

I'd have been super screwed without all the help - again you guys are all top notch lads and lassies!

Next job on the table is seeing why it blew up. No large chunks of metal on draining the oil, and no external holes or clues as to what happened other than a LARGE amount of oil in the intake plenum.

My bet is a dropped rocker causing piston to valvetrain contact, but we'll see soon enough!