ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:07 pm 
ARMS AutoSlalom Director
ARMS AutoSlalom Director

It's that time again. Post topics you'd like to discuss at the ARMS Solosport Workshop below.

Topic 1: Regional venues (discussion)

Topic 2: Merge Street Prepared/Street Modified and Prepared/Modified Championships

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:03 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Pax factor based on age and weight... :oops: :orglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Brian Partridge wrote:
Pax factor based on age and weight... :oops: :orglaugh:

Can we call it the "Brian Partridge Factor"? That would almost be worth it :orglaugh:

I think it would be a good idea to merge the Street Prepared and Street Modified classes for scoring/championship purposes. A big part of the rationale for the merged classes originally was to avoid participation trophies and maximize actual competition between competitors. I think this would help that

I also think it would be prudent to move the Geary regional to another venue (Bathurst? Or if there is a venue in Fredericton that is better but has a rental cost, the event could cost $20-30 extra to cover it). The FMC guys are great at running an event, but regional venues should (when possible) allow for elements (and run-off) typical of autocross events. And having everyone drive across and park in dust/dirt/gravel prior to every run isn't ideal either.

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:37 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I agree with Mike about venues suitable for regionals. I feel as though pax values can really only be relevant when the courses reflect those that the pax factors are derived from. That is, larger and faster courses. Short/slow/narrow courses heavily penalize cars that are powerful and/or wide. I think this is the reason why we saw such good results from the street class cars this past weekend.

If we agreed this was the case, it would possibly have to come down to only holding regional events at venues that can have an appropriate course made on them. Slemon, Digby, Shearwater, (and even Rallye Chrysler if it had the full lot) are all suitable venues. The number of regional events doesn't matter to some of us, but rather the quality of the events. if that means 6 events instead of 8, I wouldn't mind.

I don't have any other topics on my mind for the upcoming workshop, but there are a lot of positives this year that came from the 2016 solo workshop.
- Street tire modifier for classes that otherwise need $$$ tires.
- Flexibility in number of runs. no longer being stuck on 4 runs/ day has made the events more fun. especially when things are ahead of schedule and the organizers add additional runs (like MMSC did this past sunday).
- Staggering run groups on days with variable weather. IE what happened sunday @ slemon.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:07 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

The lots need to be controlled a bit better for regional events. No point in using PAX if the courses and lots being used wont allow a PAXable course to be built. I know its been a few years since i ran regionally, but i have been watching the videos and hearing what many ASCC members think. Would the spot in Saint John be good? I remember it being Dirty but a good size. My car loves small tight lots, but not technically fair. I would also rather 5-6 really good regional events over 8 MEH ones.

There isnt many *SP cars running anymore. Maybe it is time to ball us up with another class. Not sure SM is the right one as it has a fair amount of competitors, but i see no reason to not combine them until numbers increase. If they ever do.

AX-1995 Honda Civic CX FSP
RR-1995 Honda DelSol VTEC GT4
2009 Canadian Solosprint Champion.
ARMS Race Director. Race@armsinc.ca

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:08 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Slemon, Digby, Shearwater, Coliseum and Long Wharf are all big enough to make a fun course worth traveling for, in my opinion.

We're at the point where the original suggestion of 4 categories for PAX groups is relevant. I remember the meeting where we went with 6 years ago, but I think we could combine SP/SM and P/M now. 200tw SM was pretty much the death blow for SP. Street and Street Touring seem quite healthy on their own.

I think as much as possible we should try to do morning / afternoon runs for regionals if the forecast shows variable weather or it's raining. I was a naysayer before but we managed to do it at both Digby and Slemon this year without making for long days. Competitors I talked to seemed to be happy about it.x.

Now to add one more point - we need to be more strict on course design, mainly with slaloms. The minimum spacing for a slalom (or anything that drives like a 3 or more cone slalom) is 45ft per ASN rules. I tend to use much bigger slaloms because ASCC venues have room, but 45ft is a good length for a small lot and keeps speeds to about ~50-60kph in the slalom. Sub 45ft slaloms become really awful to drive in some cars.

Other than that I don't really have anything else for slalom.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:11 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Does any other club want to put the Bathurst event on next year?

At our club meeting last night it was decided that NBSCC will not be offering again next year (...That's not to say that we wouldn't attend though if Moncton or Fredericton put the event on)

Thanks
Stacy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:33 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Is the Shearwater lot good enough to be used to replace AMP for the ASCC regional?

If it is, is that something people would be interested in?

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:04 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

If we have shearwater available next year at the appropriate time it will be the regional in place of AMP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:25 pm 
ARMS AutoSlalom Director
ARMS AutoSlalom Director

With the issues MMSC has been having securing a lot in September, been thinking swapping dates. It's a lot easier to get the Coliseum in the middle of Summer. Probably cover that in the regional venue discussion, but figured I put this out ahead of that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

How did we end up with another dirt-parking lot Geary regional?
I figured when Joel, Scott and Greg all agreed it was a bad idea, it would be a done deal at the AGM

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 am 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

FMC has asked if they can run their Regional at Long Wharf in Saint John on the Saturday before our event, still ironing out the details...

Stacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:24 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

That would be excellent

MMSC #12/ASP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:21 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

Anybody know what the new combination of Autoslalom classes is going to be in 2018? (...sorry I missed the workshop being in the Race meeting)

Thanks
Stacy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:14 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Street
Street Touring
Street Prepared + Street Modified
Prepared + Modified

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:22 pm 
Irregular Member
Irregular Member

I never thought I'd live to see the day we only would have four classes and an overall to give out trophies for at the AGM, nice...

Stacy