ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:51 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

It is getting down to the last minute ... BUT... MHPDC is pleased to offer the following to the TimeAttack fraternity of ARMS:
All replies or questions to Mike - m2c2rea at gmail.com c 506 862-9399

Sunday July 5 TA Schedule - TA-with-Passing Format
1:00PM Driver's Meeting
1:15 Lapping Session - Open to all Members / Guests
1:45 Time Attack - Session #1
2:15 Lapping Session - Open to all Members / Guests
2:45 Marshal's Break
3:00 TimeAttack - Session #2
3:30 Lapping Session - Open to all Members / Guests
3:45 TimeAttack - Session #3
4:15 Track Closes

As an opportunity for ALL TimeAttack competitors in the Atlantic Region we are issuing invitations to all the TA License-holders and opening this MHPDC afternoon event up as a mixer. There are two more TimeAttack events scheduled regionally prior to the National Championship event that will be held here at AMP in September. It is our intention that MHPDC members will enter some of these other competitions and "vice verse".
TimeAttack Fees - There is an upcharge for the TimeAttack portion of the program. It covers: Timing and Scoring, Transponder Rental, Competition Insurance, and Extra Rescue/ Medical personnel.
MHPDC Members $100
TA Invitees $150

TimeAttack is a dry-track-preferred event - if Mother Nature and reliable weather forecasting (sic) indicate Saturday is the better day, we may consider moving TA to Saturday afternoon. (FYI MHPDC is at AMP both Sat and Sun)

-Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:47 pm 

Guys this is a great deal for track time, especially since it will be officially timed.
I highly suggest anyone that wants extra track time sign up for this event.

Mike, thanks again for offering this to licensed ARMS members.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:31 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

I'm very interested. How do you register?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:27 pm 
1st Gear
1st Gear

All replies or questions to Mike - m2c2rea at gmail.com c 506 862-9399

#190 89 Honda CRX (the other half)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:19 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Fantastic deal. I'm going to do my best to make it out but will not be competing. Good luck to everyone who enters!

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:01 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Hey everyone

Invited guests of those registered for the MHPDC Invitational are always welcome. When you arrive Sunday, come over to registration, and let us know who is hosting you for the day. As is always our procedure, we'll get you to sign the waiver and add your name to your host's entry form. As MHPDC is not staffed to accommodate spectators, all guests are the responsibility of the hosting member or event participant. Also, any ride-alongs during lapping sessions must be coordinated through our event staff.

See you at the track

Brent

05 Subaru Legacy GT Track Wagon
2002 Pro Challenge
Kentville

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:04 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Hey guys, don't miss this opportunity to get that extra track time and if your lucky maybe that wild and woolly corvette will show up to put some power to the ground and click off a few quick laps. If nothing else the track time and the chance to meet a few new people are worth the price of admission.

Come on..."get out there"! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:22 pm 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

I unfortunately won't be able to make it tomorrow. I hope MHPDC opens another one or two this season. Best of luck to all tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:27 am 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Just want to thank MHPDC for the opportunity to attend their time attack event on Sunday really enjoyed it, felt very welcome and it was great to meet some of the members. Hope we can do more in the future

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:28 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Soooo...how many non-MHPDC people took the opportunity to attend the MHPDC time attack event held this weekend ? I see Graham took advantage of the opportunity, anyone else ??

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:58 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Kathy and Graham Gardiner wrote:
Just want to thank MHPDC for the opportunity to attend their time attack event on Sunday really enjoyed it, felt very welcome and it was great to meet some of the members. Hope we can do more in the future

I agree as well.

Great day hopefully we will see lots of entries on July 18th

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:04 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Kevin Doubleday wrote:
Soooo...how many non-MHPDC people took the opportunity to attend the MHPDC time attack event held this weekend ? I see Graham took advantage of the opportunity, anyone else ??

I was there!

Only got about 10 laps or so in before the FiST caught fire though......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:36 am 
2nd Gear
2nd Gear

Dustin Chute wrote:
Kevin Doubleday wrote:

I was there!

Uhh what :?: :!: You can't just throw around words like that and not give us a story

#32 STX - '04 Volkswagen R32

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:01 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

Dan V wrote:
Dustin Chute wrote:
Kevin Doubleday wrote:

I was there!

Uhh what :?: :!: You can't just throw around words like that and not give us a story

His "lifetime warranty Motorcraft brake pads" weren't up to TA duty.

#20 Scion FR-S 6MT Powered by:
Great North Performance, Morine's Towing Performance & Off Road, Jani-King Canada and Blue Buzzard Performance Parts.

2013+14+15 Atlantic Sports Car Club Overall Autocross Champion
2013+14+15 Atlantic Region Motor Sports Overall Autocross Champion
2017-18 BAC Overall Rallycross Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:43 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Pics or it didn't happen. Lol, could you see it from inside the car? I saw a flame shoot out of my front left when bedding in my new pads before digby a couple weeks ago. It's a good way to tell if you got everything up to temp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:10 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Greg Sweet wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.
LMFAO...THATS A GOODER ! :lol:

I think Meg mentioned to me something about the brake pads being "thin" on the car from all the "RED LIGHTS" they have been catching lately. Well hopefully with your new "track" pads this won't be an issue anymore.

Glad to hear everyone had a goodtime..."remember, it's better to be smooth than fast " !! :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:54 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Greg Sweet wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen.

Generally considered bad form in my books, all joking aside. If someone grabbed a smartphone instead of an extinguisher, I'd kick them in the a$$.

2002 Pro Challenge
Kentville

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:04 pm 
ARMS Performance Solo Director

Trust me, it happened! Lol. But, folks were right on it and put it out immediately. Minimal damage. Much discussion on brake pads followed. Lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm 

Lol

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:50 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Oops, i assumed it was the normal momentary harmless flames. glad to hear the Fist is okay though.

Brent O'Connor wrote:
Generally considered bad form in my books, all joking aside. If someone grabbed a smartphone instead of an extinguisher, I'd kick them in the a$$.

Yeah i was just making a bad joke. Also, whenever i see some random youtube cell phone video where the filmer (whatever they're called) watches something terrible happen when they could actually be helping, it makes me cringe a little.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:43 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Given the witnesses, you can be sure it happened. I do have pics of the aftermath though, I'm just too lazy to upload them.

The funny thing is that nobody knew it was happening because I pulled off the track so calm and parked facing away from everyone. Nobody even batted an eye until I yelled for a second extinguisher.

Also, like Dev said, lifetime warranties on semi-metallic pads aren't worth crap at a track. There will be upgrades as soon as parts become available. There is almost no aftermarket support for the FiST in that regard.

Now to deal with Ford not wanting to cover the repairs, and getting a loaner vehicle arranged. Apparently there is numerous other issues, aside from the brakes.
I feel like there may be a heated argument coming.......

On the plus side, Meg took the news as well as she could I guess :orglaugh:

Last edited by Dustin Chute on Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:03 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Dustin Chute wrote:
Given the witnesses, you can be sure it happened. I do have pics of the aftermath though, I'm just too lazy to upload them.

The funny thing is that nobody knew it was happening because I pulled off the track so calm and parked facing away from everyone. Nobody even batted an eye until I yelled for a second extinguisher.

Also, like Dev said, lifetime warranties on semi-metallic pads aren't worth crap at a track. There will be upgrades as soon as parts become available. There is almost no aftermath support for the FiST in that regard.

Now to deal with Ford not wanting to cover the repairs, and getting a loaner vehicle arranged. Apparently there is numerous other issues, aside from the brakes.

On the plus side, Meg took the news as well as she could I guess :orglaugh:

I read this today
Quote:
Now, I believe the Fiesta ST is particularly hard on brakes because it uses them under acceleration in its Torque Vectoring behavior. The brakes never get to cool off. And it's particularly hard on the brakes on shorter tracks with lots of elevation change, straights, and braking zones, like Summit Point Raceway's Main Circuit in West Virginia.

AMP would fit that description as well. Quote comes from this article http://fiestast.net/threads/hawk-street-race-pad-review.2262/

2002 Pro Challenge
Kentville

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:00 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Dustin Chute wrote:

I feel a FiST fight coming on real soon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:26 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Dustin Chute wrote:
There will be upgrades as soon as parts become available. There is almost no aftermath support for the FiST in that regard.

If it's brake pads you're referring to, try Carbotech. If they don't already have an application for your vehicle, then you can simply send them a set of old pads and they will use the backing plate to make you a new set with your compound of choice.

Myself and many others use them. They're Canadian supplier is Frank Ewald at http://www.ewaldperformance.com/ In fact, I have an order with them right now for Carbotech track pads for the EVO.

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:37 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Dustin Chute wrote:
Also, like Dev said, lifetime warranties on semi-metallic pads aren't worth crap at a track. There will be upgrades as soon as parts become available. There is almost no aftermath support for the FiST in that regard.

Perry Automotive in Quebec at 450.662.6927 had a few different Hawk brake pad options in stock when I called them 3-4 weeks ago.
Don't rely on online vendors as they may be slow to update their site. Best to call race shops.

Carbotech as Scott mentioned could be a good option too.

I'll be looking for new brake pads whenever I change to better tires.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:23 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Greg Sweet wrote:
Dustin Chute wrote:

I feel a FiST fight coming on real soon

Hah, that's almost as witty as saying my Fall will be FoRS-ful.

In the truth they were good to me. Ford went good for everything. But they more or less said if it happens again, don't come crying. The regular warranty/maintenance plan still applies.

Here what things looked like, including fire extinguisher guts all over my car:

FYI. That's my caliper piston melted into what was left of the brake pad.

Attachments:
IMG_20150708_081453.jpg [684.81 KiB]
Downloaded 195 times
IMG_20150705_145130.jpg [1.58 MiB]
Downloaded 195 times
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:31 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Brent, that article raises a very good point about the Torque Vectoring system. I could simply turn it off, but in slalom I'm faster with it on, and at AMP I don't feel comfortable without stability control, given the high rollover probability of the FiST.

I will be contacting carbotech this week, to see what their options are. I'd be inclined to avoid Hawk, simply because of the numerous poor reviews in Brent's article.

Now all I need is a brake duct system that doesn't look hideous and the specialty tool for the rear pads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:39 pm 

After seeing your brake pad, Carbotech all the way! Call them, and explain what happened, they're good folks. But keep in mind that our track is hard on brakes. Also mention that the Vantage Motors guys run the XP 20's on their IT B Golfs. I used the XP12's and they lasted for 3 full race days, the 10's they say last longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:20 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Dustin Chute wrote:
Brent, that article raises a very good point about the Torque Vectoring system. I could simply turn it off, but in slalom I'm faster with it on, and at AMP I don't feel comfortable without stability control, given the high rollover probability of the FiST.

I will be contacting carbotech this week, to see what their options are. I'd be inclined to avoid Hawk, simply because of the numerous poor reviews in Brent's article.

Now all I need is a brake duct system that doesn't look hideous and the specialty tool for the rear pads.

I recommend you start bringing a set of pads and a set of rotors to each track day, and figure out a cooling plan for when you return to paddock. From what I can surmise from a bit of reading, the FiST eats pads and rotors at tracks like ours when torque vectoring is ON. When the pad plate gets welded to the piston, something is not OK at all. Higher friction material temps isn't going to help when the backing plates are failing due to heat.

While the FiST has had some roll over issues in slalom, I have not seen any discussion of it during track events.

2002 Pro Challenge
Kentville

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:44 pm 

On my car, my Hawk Blues were doing the same thing, melting the rubber along the piston for the caliper, bending the backing plates, and not lasting. The Carbotech took away my issues. Cooling ducts were also put in place, as half arsed as they were. :lol: