The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cage question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:17 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Does anyone know if a post 2000 CARS regulation cage is also suitable for ASN road racing and are NASA and Rally America cages built to the same specification?

Post subject: Re: Cage question
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:41 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

RA Cages have some FIA spec differences that don't necessarily line up with a CARS Logbookable cage. I forget exactly what the differences are, whether its bar diameter or placement. If its a well built cage to an FIA design it would be fine, but do your homework. NASA uses FIA Spec. You can only use an RA/NASA logbook if you're a US based driver, so don't expect to get by on the car's book.

I can't imagine a 2000 CARS logbooked car would have any problems passing ASN Race spec, though it may be tied into suspension points in a way that won't lead to favorable classing. Again, do your homework to be sure.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:51 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Gordon S. wrote:
RA Cages have some FIA spec differences that don't necessarily line up with a CARS Logbookable cage. I forget exactly what the differences are, whether its bar diameter or placement. Its its a well built cage to an FIA design it would be fine, but do your homework. NASA uses FIA Spec. You can only use an RA/NASA logbook if you're a US based driver, so don't expect to get by on the car's book.

I can't imagine a 2000 CARS logbooked car would have any problems passing ASN Race spec, though it may be tied into suspension points in a way that won't lead to favorable classing. Again, do your homework to be sure.

Thanks for the info. Is anyone in the HRM able to build a CARS cage? My only concern with regard to road racing is being able to run it at AMP for sprint (and maybe Chump).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:53 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

If you're serious about building we can put you in touch with the guy that built ours. He built ours from scratch and has modified/updated several other rally car cages.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:29 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

I was doing some reading on cages yesterday. Here's the link to the FIA document on cage specifications

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/regulation/file/253%20(2015).pdf

It takes a bit of jumping around to decode the details due to backdated specs and requirements depending on homologation dates, but it is essentially all there.

05 Subaru Legacy GT Track Wagon
2002 Pro Challenge
Kentville

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:08 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Something in mind Chris?

My memory suggests that a post 2000 CARS log-booked vehicles should fit the rules.
However, do your due diligence.

Lots of good info above as well.

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:37 pm 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I looks like most affordable (old) rally cars for sale have cages that will be a hassle to get passed or will have to be redone, so I was thinking about either stripping out my Celica or selling it and buying a RHD All-trac to build. I would love to run a Celica GT4 but the cost of importing parts is ridiculous. Then there's the cost benefit of joining the cult of Subaru to consider also. Since a cage is worth more than my car would sell for I want to put it in a shell I'll be happy with.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:00 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Its boring and unoriginal, but there's definitely something to be said for the advantages of running the same as everyone else. Used parts are far easier to come by, lots of variety of fancy new parts available, chances are if you break something someone will have a spare handy. In all the years I did Targa it was the guys that brought the interesting rare stuff that were out on the second or third day because they broke something they just couldn't replace.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:27 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Gordon S. wrote:
Its boring and unoriginal, but there's definitely something to be said for the advantages of running the same as everyone else. Used parts are far easier to come by, lots of variety of fancy new parts available, chances are if you break something someone will have a spare handy. In all the years I did Targa it was the guys that brought the interesting rare stuff that were out on the second or third day because they broke something they just couldn't replace.

I don't have any grand plans beyond BAC rallysprint and maybe if you guys get a stage rally going in Nova Scotia, but I would like to build a legit car. Those GC chasis JDM imports are pretty cheap if you don't go for an STI, I can't imagine there's too many good USDM shells left in Canada what with them dissolving and all. Did you get one out of the US?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:12 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

... if we get a stage Rally going? The Lookoff Rally is in its 5th year.

Our car has a bit of an oddball history. It was Ian's partner's daily driver but actually got sold and came back to us. Its not a pristine JDM car (Winter driven NS chassis with 240k on it) but other than a couple of minor spots its not too bad at all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:51 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Rally is well underway, come join us!

As Gord mentioned, our car us just a CDM 2.5RS, daily driven until 2011 or so. It's a rallycar, so a few weld marks on a fender or rocker is par for the course.

There was a fellow in PQ running a JDM GT-Four a few years back. Made check in at the timing controls a bit interested for them, but it worked.

There is something to be said for running something lego like that might have parts around. Unless you are hell bent on something unique, then go for it!

That Logbooked SIR Civic in PQ would be worth a look.

-I

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:01 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Gordon S. wrote:
... if we get a stage Rally going? The Lookoff Rally is in its 5th year.

Our car has a bit of an oddball history. It was Ian's partner's daily driver but actually got sold and came back to us. Its not a pristine JDM car (Winter driven NS chassis with 240k on it) but other than a couple of minor spots its not too bad at all.

Arg, it has been so long since I'm made it to anything, I thought that was a Rallysprint weekend. I'll be getting the Rav4 back to the Rallyx, too bad no one makes coil overs for that thing. If a caged non-turbo Subaru pops up for sale I would probably jump on that. One way or the other I plan to join the ranks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:03 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

There is also a logbooked Mitsu GT4? In the Valley.

Matt might part with it.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:25 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

Ian Pearce wrote:
There is also a logbooked Mitsu GT4? In the Valley.

Matt might part with it.....

I am kind of partial to having spark plugs in the standard location :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:11 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Unfortunately I have a feeling that car will rot where it is. He'll never part from it for what its actually worth. Really hurts to have a full spec car so close that's never seen a Nova Scotian stage. 8O

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:09 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Chris Phillipo wrote:
I would love to run a Celica GT4 but the cost of importing parts is ridiculous.

Agreed!