ATLANTIC REGION MOTOR SPORTS
The governing body of amateur motor sport within Atlantic Canada
ARMS Homepage
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Would you attend a rally organizers school?
No, no interest. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Interested, but time is precious. 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Maybe. 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Yes, very interested, I'm almost 100% certain I'd be there. 70%  70%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:15 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

A number of years ago we had a Navigational Rally organizers school.

It was fairly well attended, and we had some good discovery and instruction from some of the most experienced rallymasters in the region.

Is it time again?

This would not be a scenario where one would be saddled with a large amount of info, and then be expected to go off an organize a regional event.

This would be a laid back introduction from those who have organized events, on how they do it. What do they start with, how to proceed, what needs to be done etc.

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE DOLLARS????"

"Great, now we're gonna get frikken' yelled at....."
"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 pm 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

It would be totally awesome if we could do it as an online session so people from outside the near area could attend. Yes, I'm talking about me ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

We use Google+ Hangouts for video conferencing at work all the time. It has screen sharing too. :idea:

1997 Talon TSi AWD
2008 EVO X MR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:39 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

You ever over this way for work or such Andrew?

That Scott, I'll investigate. I used to be up on technology, but it involved a C64 and a 300baud modem. Anyone still have AT** codes memorized? :)
I do use a fair bit of computer support when organizing, but there is nothing like a big table and a map for getting a route feel. :D

"That is on the floor..... in fifth..... 6500????..." -Buffum to Smith (140mph+, Rallye Charlevoix.....)

"Let the record show that the evening degenerated at 2022hrs..... Duly noted..."

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Coming from someone whose major job function is training people there's nothing worse than trying to explain detail technical concepts to someone over an online system. 8O

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 am 
3rd Gear
3rd Gear

Sorry to hear it doesn't work well in your environment Gord. I find it can work very well but only if everyone involved is comfortable with it. It was just an idea.

Ian, I do get over to Halifax from time to time but it tends to be scheduled on fairly short notice (usually about 2 weeks). No need to go out of your way to look into online conferencing...I think there may be a Vinland school curriculum kicking around that I can use and pester some of our well established organizers. Side note...I too haven't used an AT code in an awfully long time. Quite sure I wouldn't know where to start now :orglaugh:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:16 pm 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Andrew: I certainly wasn't implying we shouldn't try it. My cynical outburst is a reflex action. We certainly have the technical ability to webcast any session that might take place and can make it an option, I just knee-jerk whenever someone implies training can be just as easily done remotely and there's no reason to try meeting face to face. Its a 'conversation' (polite term) I have a lot. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:43 pm 
I would love to do it, but this year my off Island excursions are going to be severely limited, so unless there will be one on the Island, I won't be able to attend. I'd be interested in an online conference, but I live in the sticks and use a crappy old computer, so I don't think it's work for me either, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:54 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

I would certainly be interested. To tie in with the other post, my days of competing in TSD rallies are behind me, but I would love to give other people the opportunity to take part in the activity that got me hooked on rally. So whenever this would happen, count me in!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 am 
5th Gear
5th Gear

I went to the one a few years ago, and it was great.
Of course, I've done nothing with all that knowledge since (I think we might have run in 2? rallies since then?) but that is more a function of life and really crappy hockey schedules for the kids ("No no, of course all the ice times for both boys are Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday mornings. Who'd rather have ice times in the evenings during the week? :x ). And since it'll be another 3-5 years (baring a hockey schedule miracle) I don't see my attending for a refresher really doing much good.
Afraid I'll have to stick to helping out on the performance stuff until then (so try not to schedule any of those during hockey season!! :)).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:44 am 
Overdrive
Overdrive

Ryan:

I was saddened to see that you feel your days of TSD are behind you. May I ask why?

-I

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:15 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

My left foot is too heavy. I need pure speed. Hence why all my entry fees for TSD's go to rallyx and procuring a car to get me to the performance rallies/rallysprints.

That being said, I would love to help out. It is such a great type of event, just not one suited to me :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:09 pm 
Infield Hooligan
Infield Hooligan

Ryan Quinn wrote:
My left foot is too heavy. I need pure speed. Hence why all my entry fees for TSD's go to rallyx and procuring a car to get me to the performance rallies/rallysprints.

That being said, I would love to help out. It is such a great type of event, just not one suited to me :lol:

I know exactly what your saying Ryan...

BTW...I have yet to open that package you sent me in the mail... :oops: :oops: 8O

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:39 pm 
4th Gear
4th Gear

DO you need motivation?